"Dear Jane" Civil War fabric

Hello my friends, we have had a very unseasonal mini heat wave here the last few days with temperatures reaching up to 30 degrees, it wasn't even that hot in the Summer.  I had planned to venture up into the Loft and search for all of my Autumn and Halloween boxes and spend the weekend decorating the house  (I've been very good to wait this long!) but as the weather was so hot over the weekend I'm postponing until next weekend when the weather will hopefully be far more appropriate!  

Meanwhile I have had a delivery of some more gorgeous Civil War fabrics!  Now I know some of you lovely quilting ladies will be familiar with the "Dear Jane" II Collection of fabrics by Brenda Papadakis for Windham, but I would love to fill in a little background history for those of you yet to discover these beautiful fabrics. 

Dear Jane II fabric by Brenda Pakadalis for Windham 



In 1863 during the American Civil War a lady named Jane Stickle completed a beautiful sampler quilt, 169 blocks and 5602 pieces in total.  Jane signed her quilt with the following "In War Time, 1863,  pieces 5602,  Jane A. Stickle" It stayed in her family for generations and was eventually donated to the Bennington Museum in Vermont where it is still on display and can be seen every September and October. 

A photograph of the original quilt courtesy of Bennington Museum Vermont




Brenda Papadakis meticulously researched the history of Jane and her quilt and has produced these stunning reproduction fabrics for Windham Fabrics.  I am so happy to have the two panels shown at the top available to buy in my store The Homespun Loft  

If you would like to have a go at making your own Dear Jane quilt please click on these links and download these free patterns

by Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts

by Whistler Studios
See you soon I hope, and as always, please leave a comment if you wish, I love hearing from you, my old and new friends :0)
Hugs, Charlotte xx

4 comments:

  1. lovely fabrics and patterns.

    Josie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Charlotte, oh how beautiful! The original quilt looks in perfect condition, isn't it amazing?
    The reproductions came out so very nice. Thank you.
    Warm Regards,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those are really sweet! It's a whole different style to me, but very pretty.

    ReplyDelete